Suzanne Opton: Many Wars Exhibition
- Saturday, October 01, 2016 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Joann Cole Mitte The University Galleries
This exhibition runs through October 20, 2016.
The exhibition Many Wars explores the complex psychological impact of combat on the individual through a series of photographs by Suzanne Opton. Opton's Many Wars series personifies the effects of trauma as seen in the portraits of veterans taken at a VA clinic. Her soldier portraits, icons of the aftermath of the current wars, have sparked a passionate debate about issues of art and soldiering. Her photographs are included in the permanent collections of the Brooklyn Museum, Cleveland Museum, Fotomuseum Winterthur, Library of Congress, and Musee de l'Eysee among others. She has received grants from the NEA, NYFA, and Vermont Council on the Arts. Opton teaches at the International Center of Photography and is the recipient of a 2009 Guggenheim Fellowship.
- The University Galleries, School of Art and Design
- Common Experience
- Entertainment, Exhibitions, Visual Arts
- Faculty, General Interest, Graduate Students, Staff, Undergraduate Students