We Gotta Get Out of this Place: The Soundtrack of the Vietnam War
- Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:30 PM - 10:00 PM
- LBJ Student Center Teaching Theater
"We Gotta Get Out of this Place: The Soundtrack of the Vietnam War" is the title of an award-winning book on music and war by Doug Bradley and Craig Werner. Their talk will place popular music at the heart of the American experience in Vietnam, exploring how and why U.S. troops turned to music as a way of connecting to each other and the world back home and of coping with the complexities of the war they had been sent to fight. They will also show that music was important for every group of Vietnam veterans — black and white, Latino and Native American, men and women, officers and "grunts."
- University Lecturers Series, NEH Distinguished Teaching Professorship, College of Liberal Arts, Department of History
- Common Experience
- Academic, Lectures, Music
- Faculty, General Interest, Graduate Students, Staff, Undergraduate Students